Friday, October 15, 2010

Recap of the past week

Since I last blogged we've done a few new things. Dublin actually has an Oktoberfest for a few weeks here. It's basically like the real Oktoberfest in Munich, but much smaller. It was fun- the beer was really strong and I tried a sausage which was awesome. I was only there for a little during the day, but apparently things got crazy at night. Later that day my friend Liesel came in, so we walked around the city a little so I could show her the sights. We went out that night to a pub and club and had a few bulmers. I'm not sure if I've explained Bulmers yet- it's called a cider and is kind of like alcoholic apple juice but doesn't really taste like apple. They also have a berry flavor and some others. It's delicious. Here's a picture of us at the Porterhouse (I look a little gross but oh well):


The next day we went to the guiness factory. I had already been there once before but the place is so huge, like 7 floors, that we saw a lot of things I missed the first time. We also took a lesson in learning how to pour the perfect pint. Our instructor was a young guy who liked his job wayyyy too much- he was flirting with all the girls in the group which was kind of awkward. Anyways, it was actually harder than I imagined to pour a pint of guiness correctly, but here is a picture of me trying:


We had lunch at the factory then headed home so Liesel could catch her plane.

This week was pretty standard- just classes and whatnot. On wednesday we went to a speaker at the national library of ireland. The topic was slavery in Ireland, and unfortunately did not really hold anyone's attention. It was mostly elderly people there who were really eager to listen, but bringing a bunch of college kids to a talk directed to old irishmen isnt very thrilling. The speaker was very knowledgable, but I didn't really follow what he was talking about.

Last night's event, however, was definitely better. We went to a play called B for Baby at the Abbey theatre. We had absolutly no idea what this play was about, which could be a good thing, because we didn't have any expectations. The plot was pretty weird- it was about two special needs people, and a woman who takes care of them but who really wants a baby. The woman "uses" the special needs man to "give herself" a baby (i'm trying not to be too explicit). you can see where I'm going with this- it was pretty weird and sad, but entertaining nonetheless.

This weekend will be a lot of free time, possibly including some halloween shopping. My parents come sunday, then next weekend we are doing some travelling!

No comments:

Post a Comment