Friday, October 29, 2010

Parents Part 2 and Gaga

So where I left off last entry was right after copenhagen we headed to Paris. The flight over we took easy jet, which is a discount airline similar to Ryan Air. Naturally, the crowd on the plane was full of characters. The flight went well, and we go to Paris around 10 or so. We checked into the hotel, which was a tiny building in the Opera district. The next morning we had breakfast there, which had delicious pastries, and went to do a double decker bus tour. This was my first time really looking at the city- and it is beautiful. Just seeing the buildings, cafes, and people is a really unique experience because Paris is unlike any city I had ever been to. Our first stop off the bus was the Louvre. We saw the mona lisa and some other great art- and the place was packed! I looked it up online and about 12,000 people visit every day. That is crazy. We ended up eating lunch at the museum since we were starving, then heading back onto the bus.

Our next stop was Notre Dame. We walked through the church which was also huge, then strolled around the area right next door called the Left Bank. Afterwards, it was time to head back to the hotel for some downtime before heading to dinner. Something that we found very different from Dublin is the lack of taxis in Paris. It seems there are just not enough for you to walk out to the street and get one quickly. This is very different from Dublin, which has too many taxis for the demand. Another side note- there was no evidence of any riots or protests in Paris. As you all I'm sure have heard, a lot of unions in Paris are protesting the recent rise in retirement age from 60 to 62. We were kind of nervous that our flights would be off or that places would be closed because of the riots, but we barely even remembered what was going on because we never saw any of it. Anyway, that night we went to a little restaurant in the bastille area. I was finally able to get a delicious crepe which I had been craving since arriving.
The next day we had a reservation to go to the top of the eiffel tower. It took a while to get up because of all the lnes, but when we finally did, the view was gorgeous. Here's a picture:





After coming down, we headed to get lunch, but took a picture first with the tower in the background:





I look weird because it was freezing but it was really cool to actually be there. Next stop was lunch at a cute cafe. I ordered a sandwich which turned out to be HUGE. of course, I ate the entire thing, but still it was massive. The rest of the day was more walking around and sitting in a cafe. French people are just all so fashionable and skinny, I was jealous just walking down the street.

That night we met my friend Liesel who is studying in Paris for dinner in the bastille area. Dinner was delicious, and it was nice to hear more about what living in Paris is like. The next morning we got up really early to head to the airport, and so it was back to Dublin! My parents headed home from Paris, which concluded parents week in Dublin.

The past couple days have started Halloween celebrations, but the last part of this entry will be about the Lady Gaga concert I went to wednesday night. It was amazing. So fabulous. The set, the dancers, Gaga herself, it was just awesome. I'm so glad I went, and our seats were pretty decent. It was loads of fun. I'm having trouble uploading pictures right now but I will try again later.



1 comment: