Friday, October 8, 2010

Classes

So we've had two full weeks of real DBS classes already. I'll go through what I'm taking in a second, but let me preface this by saying DBS is VERY different from Elon. In the US it would be comparable to Kaplan (DBS is actually an affiliate of kaplan), or ITT tech. There's a lot more adults and immigrant in my classes, rather than irish kids my age. There definitely are some, but for example, my finance class has a 40 year old man in it, and his 25 year old girlfriend. Everything is just set up differently. The teachers seem to be pretty good however, so I don't mean to shed a negative light on it too much- it's just an adjustment from the Elon experience I've had. Here's my classes and a description of each:

Poverty and Exclusion- this class seems to interest me the most. We focus on issues of poverty, what constitutes poverty, etc. The people in my class however are interesting.....there are a lot of young irish girls who intimidate me, but there is also a pregnant woman who is due in 2 weeks. I'll definitely blog asap if her water breaks during class. This will be a good class, but some of the students are older and like to talk way too much. In fact, it surprises me how much kids talk while the professor is teaching.

Urban Studies- the exact same people in my poverty class are in this class. The teacher is different though, and can barely speak english. I have no doubt she knows the subject well, but she cant explain it at all. The other day the class started getting very angry with her, and it turned into world war 3. I understand and agree with the other students' frustrations with the teacher, but they were pretty much yelling at her. This would never happen back at home. crazy. I thought I would like this class if it had an urban regeneration type of focus, but right now we are studying the history of cities, which is pretty dull. Hopefully it will get better and look at more current issues.

Finance- the men in this class smell terrible. I literally could not breathe the other day it smelled so bad. I know europeans generally don't shower or do laundry as much as we do at home, but it's reallyyy bad. This class is basically all foreigners but the teacher is decent. It is funny though that this is a year long class, so I will actually only be there for the first couple chapters of the course. I'm glad I won't have to take this class at Elon since it is supposed to be hard, but I may have to do some outside reading on what finance actually is since I won't be learning much of the subject.

Marketing- this class is HUGE. This is my class with the most irish students in it. The teacher is pretty good and very relaxed about abroad students missing class to travel. It gets boring sometimes but I think I'll pick up some good info and the teacher makes it easy to follow along and whatnot.

No comments:

Post a Comment