Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Parents Week in Europe- Part 1

This is going to be a long blog, so bear with me. I'll try to add pictures to break up my ranting, and be brief unless something is very interesting. For both my sake and anyone reading this, I will write two blogs about the past week- here is part 1:

This past week my parents came to visit. The first few days they were here we stayed in Dublin. We didn't do much the first day they arrived, just lunch at Bewely's and dinner at the Millstone- both very good restaurants. The second day we got up and bought tickets for that touristy double decker bus. it worked out pretty nicely, and brought us around to the best sights. We first did a walking tour of Trinity College and saw the book of Kells, then jumped on the tour of the dublin castle. I had to go to class, but we met up later at the Porter House for food with some of my friends. The second day, our bus pass was still valid, so we did the guiness factory tour. Unfortunately, none of us really like the beer itself, but my parents did participate in the "pour the perfect pint" lesson. pictures:






After the guiness storehouse we swung by Blackhall so I could show them where I live. Not the best area, but the apartment is perfectly fine, considering I am a student in Europe. For dinner this night we went to a place called Elephant and Castle in the temple bar area. This was good as well, and I had an awesome dessert- two layers of chocolate fudge with whipped cream and raspberries in the middle. nom

The next day we took off for Copenhagen! We didn't get in until late, but we got right up in the morning and headed to do a boat tour around the city. A little background on the city- it is the capital of denmark, and has A LOT of water. The people are very clean and NEVER jaywalk- they will wait until the light is green even if there is noone in sight. Anyway, the boat tour was nice, but it was freezing. After this we walked around a bit looking for somewhere to eat. We got kind of lost and ended up at burger king. Another fun fact- Copenhagen is extremelyyyy expensive. It was unreal. But here is a picture of how pretty it is:


After lunch we went across the street to Trivoli- an amusement park and garden all in one. It was decorated for halloween and was great! It was a lot of fun to walk around and go into the different shops they have. The food also looked great. That night (friday) we met a friend of mine Caitlyn for dinner at a little local restaurant. It was a good meal- lots of meat and the guys next to us were pretty drunk. They made my dad take a shot of some weird alcohol they were drinking with their meal. Afterwards, Caitlyn and I went back to her apartment then out to a bar. A little after midnight, a Danish reggae rapper came on the stage. He was pretty good, I just wasnt expecting it at all. I took a cab home at the end of the night- our hotel was awesome and I wanted to spend as much time in a big comfy bed as possible.


The next day we headed to the museum Kunst. It is an art museum with a sculpture garden. The art was interesting, but had some weird paintings in it as well. /heres a picture:



After we were done at the museum, we took a walk to the best shopping area in town. It is pedestrian only an had a lot of cool shops and cafes. We chose a cafe that must be very well known/popular because it was packed. The food was great though and it was fun to experience an authentic cafe. After the cafe, we walked a little more and went back to the hotel to catch our flight to Paris.
So that is a very quick recap of the first part of the trip- I will write about Paris later because I'm sick of typing!


1 comment: